San Luis Obispo Home Inspector

Camelot Home inspection Services is a specialist in the inspection of manufactured (aka "mobile") homes in the California Central Coast region. Areas served include Arroyo Grande, Los Osos, Orcutt, Paso Robles, San Luis Obispo, Pismo Beach, and Santa Maria.

<< Home

Manufactured Home Inspections

Federal standards regulate manufactured housing design and construction, strength and durability, transportability, fire resistance, energy efficiency and quality. The HUD Code also sets performance standards for the heating, plumbing, air conditioning, thermal and electrical systems. HUD is the only federally-regulated national building code. Each home or segment of a home is labeled with a red tag that is the manufacturer's guarantee the home was built to conform to the HUD code. On-site additions, such as garages, cabanas, decks and porches, often add to the attractiveness of manufactured homes and must be built to local, state or regional building codes.

Manufactured homes generally come in single or two-section units and their dimensions range from 8 feet or more wide and 40 feet or more long. Manufactured homes can be placed on a basement and include multiwides and expandable manufactured homes. Excluded are travel trailers, motor homes, and modular housing.

Obviously, an inspection of a manufactured home is very different from that of a typical on-site or 'stick-built' home. Entirely different codes and regulations apply. Only someone who is specially trained to inspect manufactured homes possesses the knowledge necessary to perform an inspection of a manufactured home.

Manufactured or 'Mobile' Home Inspection Links


2001 CFR Title 24, Volume 5

2001 CFR Title 24, Volume 5

California Department of Housing and Community Development

Manufactured Home Source

Green Homes

HUD Manufactured or 'Mobile' Home FAQ's

What is a manufactured home?

A manufactured home (formerly known as a mobile home) is built to the Manufactured Home Construction and Safety Standards (HUD Code) and displays a red certification label on the exterior of each transportable section. Manufactured homes are built in the controlled environment of a manufacturing plant and are transported in one or more sections on a permanent chassis.

What is the difference between manufactured and modular homes?

Manufactured homes are constructed according to a code administered by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD Code). The HUD Code, unlike conventional building codes, requires manufactured homes to be constructed on a permanent chassis. Modular homes are constructed to the same state, local or regional building codes as site-built homes. Other types of systems-built homes include panelized wall systems, log homes, structural insulated panels, and insulating concrete forms.

What are my options for financing the purchase of a manufactured home?

There are many alternatives for financing your home, including a growing number of lending institutions that are providing conventional and government-insured financing plans for prospective owners. The most common method of financing a manufactured home is through a retail installment contract, available through your retailer. Some lending institutions that offer conventional, long-term real estate mortgages may require the homes to be placed on approved foundations. Manufactured homes are eligible for government-insured loans offered by the Federal Housing Administration (FHA), the Veterans Administration (VA), and the Rural Housing Services (RHS) under the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

For additional assistance, you may wish to contact HUD's Housing Counseling Clearinghouse. HUD-approved housing counseling agencies provide housing counseling to renters, first-time buyers, and homeowners. Homeowners with problems that could result in default of their mortgage or foreclosure on their property need to contact a HUD-approved housing counseling agency immediately. HUD's Housing Counseling Clearinghouse operates a toll-free 24-hour-a-day automated voice response system that provides referrals to local housing counseling agencies, at (800) 569-4287. Referrals are also available to Spanish-speaking consumers.

Whom do I contact if my home was damaged during installation?

Retailers may contract with their customers for the installation of their homes, in which case the retailer is your first contact for installation-related problems. If the retailer does not arrange for the installation and you choose the installation contractor, you should contact the installer who performed the work. If you are not satisfied with the repair, contact the local authority/SAA having jurisdiction. It is important that all services related to the installation be listed separately in the contract.

What should I do if I'm having problems with my home and the Retailer and/or Manufacturer are no longer in business?

Contact your SAA or State agency that regulates manufactured home manufacturers or retailers. Your State may administer a bonding or recovery fund program for such instances.

My home was built before June 15, 1976. I've made some modifications to my home and believe it meets the HUD Standards. Can someone come inspect my home to make sure it's in compliance with the Standards?

HUD does not inspect homes. Homes built prior to June 15, 1976, even with modifications, do not meet the HUD standards and cannot be accepted as compliant with the HUD Code. As the homeowner, you may find a licensed engineer willing to inspect your home for compliance with your state's housing code. FHA does not insure mortgages on manufactured homes built prior to June 15, 1976. Most other mortgage insurance firms follow FHA's policy.

Will HUD issue certification labels (HUD tags) if my home was built before 1976?

No. The Department will not issue tags for a manufactured (mobile) home constructed prior to the enforcement of the Manufactured Home Construction and Safety Standards, effective June 15, 1976.


About Your Inspector

In addition to being an ASHI Certified Inspector and a Master CREIA inspector, Martin is also an A.I.I. Certified Manufactured Home Inspector, #M3156. Martin has been inspecting manufactured homes since 1994, has attended numerous manufactured home workshops and seminars, and has received instructional tours of manufactured home factories by plant facility managers.

manufactured mobile home inspector


manufactured mobile home

Manufactured Home Park Issues - FAQ's

Can our park owner increase the space or lot rent?

The Mobilehome Residency Law (MRL) allows a park owner/operator to increase rents with a 90-day notice. However, local governments, such as a city or county, may impose rent control restrictions. If this is the case, please contact your local government for assistance. See MRL sections, 798.17, 798.21, 798.30, and 798.45 in the Civil Code at for further information.

Can the park owner raise the lot rental amount for any reason?

Park owners may only increase the space or lot rent amount in accordance with the Mobilehome Residency Law (MRL) and/or local rent control ordinances, if one has been adopted.

The MRL requires park management to give residents a written notice 90 days prior to the proposed increase. The MRL includes some restrictions on amounts, such as a homeowner can only be charged for rent, utilities, and incidental reasonable charges for services actually received. Additionally, a homeowner has to be given at least 60 days written notice by management of a fee for services actually rendered but not listed in the rental agreement.
See MRL sections 798.31 - 798.44 in the Civil Code at for more details. Local rent control ordinances may have additional requirements or restrictions.

Is the park owner required to state the reason for increasing the lot rental amount on the notice?

No. Generally, there is no requirement in the Mobilehome Residency Law (MRL) to state a reason for a rent increase. A local rent control ordinance may have different requirements.

Is the park owner required to meet with the homeowners to discuss disputes?

Yes, upon written request. Please refer to the Mobilehome Residency Law (MRL) in sections 798.25(a) and 798.53 of the Civil Code at: for further information.

Can HCD determine whether an increase in the fee for utilities is legal?

No. The Department does not have the authority to regulate utility fees. Any questions related to utilities fees can be answered by the Public Utilities Commission (PUC) at the following internet address: or call the Commission at (800) 649-7570.

Can a park owner close a park or change the use of the land?

Yes. However, there are several laws that cover park closure or a change in use of the land. The Mobilehome Residency Law (MRL) specifies some of the procedures and refers to the sections in the Government Code (GC) that the owner also must comply with. Although not required, a city or county often has specific procedures for closing parks. See MRL section
798.56 in the Civil Code and GC sections 65852.7, 65863.7-8, and 66427.4-.5 at HCD has no jurisdiction over these issues; they are subject to local government review.

The park is not allowing me to sell my mobilehome in the park. Can they do that?

The Mobilehome Residency Law (MRL) specifies that the park may require you to remove the manufactured home or mobilehome if it is either significantly rundown or in disrepair, or over a certain age and determined to be substandard. See MRL section 798.73 in the Civil Code at for further information.

Can a park owner place restrictions on the sale of a mobilehome?

Yes, park management and residents each have rights regarding restrictions on the sale of a mobilehome in the park.
Management may require that the homeowner notify management in writing that the home is for sale (MRL section 798.71); may require certain types of repairs to the home and related structures on the lot (MRL section 798.73.5); may require the right to approve the purchaser of a home that will stay in the park (MRL section 798.74); may dictate the age(s) of the buyer(s) (MRL section 798.76); and may require a signed lease with the new homeowner before escrow closes or at the time of sale (MRL section 798.75).
The homeowner has the right to advertise the sale of the home with certain limitations (MRL section 798.70); and to receive notice from management of the acceptance or rejection of a prospective buyer within 15 days (MRL section 798.74).
Management may not charge the seller a fee related to a sale unless a service was provided (MRL section 798.72); impose certain sale or listing requirements (MRL section 798.81); require repairs or improvements to the space or park owned structures unless damage was done by the seller (MRL section 798.73.5; or require residents to waive any of these rights (MRL section 798.77).

Can the park management force me to make physical improvements to my home and lot?

Yes. The park management can require you to correct violations of local or state requirements for the unit and accessory structures that you own. Management generally cannot require you to make physical improvements to park-owned property or structures, including the lot.
See MRL sections 798.73.5 an 798.83 in the Civil Code at

Does the park management have the right to enter my lot?

Yes. Generally, the park management has the right of entry on the lot during reasonable hours for maintenance of utilities, trees, and driveways, lot maintenance, if the resident fails to do so, and for the protection of the park or other residents during reasonable hours. Management does not have a right to enter a mobilehome without permission.
See MRL section 798.26 in the Civil Code at

Must the rules and regulations of the park be posted or given to residents?

Yes. Park rules and regulations are required to be given to the resident at the time of application for tenancy in the park and with new leases/extensions. There is no requirement to post the park rules, however.
See MRL section 798.15 and 758.74.5 in the Civil Code at

Can the park management change my lot lines without my permission?

No. Park management must obtain permission from HCD or the local enforcement agency to move lot lines after obtaining your approval and meeting other requirements. See Title 25 California Code of Regulations section 1104(d) at:

Are individuals and companies who install manufactured homes required to obtain a special license or certification?

A manufactured home installer is required to be either a licensed “General” contractor or a licensed “Manufactured Home” contractor. The Business and Professions Code also allows a homeowner to install his/her own home.

If a home is being altered from the way it left the factory, is a permit required?

Yes, if the manufactured home was built after September 1, 1958. Alterations to the electrical, plumbing, or mechanical systems of a manufactured home require a permit and inspection from the Department of Housing and Community Development regardless of where the home is located.
If you have any questions relating to permit requirements, depending on where the home is located please call the Department’s Area Offices in Sacramento (916) 255-2501 or Riverside (951) 782-4420, or visit our Manufactured Housing Program on the internet at .